Bentonville Shoplifting Attorney
Defending Those Who Have Been Accused of Shoplifting in Arkansas
The state of Arkansas takes shoplifting very seriously, and the penalties for a conviction can be harsh. At Cody W. Dowden, Attorney at Law, our Bentonville shoplifting lawyer stands ready to deliver the legal representation you need during this challenging time. Don't let a shoplifting accusation tarnish your future; let us fight for your rights and protect your reputation.
Call Cody W. Dowden, Attorney at Law, today at (479) 777-0640 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting lawyer in Bentonville.
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting, or retail theft, occurs when an individual takes merchandise or goods from a store without paying for them, intending to permanently deprive the owner of those items. Shoplifting encompasses a wide range of actions, from concealing items in clothing or bags to switching price tags to pay less than the actual value of the merchandise.
Shoplifting may be considered a misdemeanor or felony depending on various factors, including the value of the stolen items and the offender's prior criminal history. In Arkansas, the severity of shoplifting charges can lead to significant legal consequences.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting in Arkansas?
The penalties for shoplifting in Arkansas can be substantial and vary based on the value of the stolen goods and the offender's previous criminal record. Here's an overview of the potential consequences you may face if convicted of shoplifting:
- Misdemeanor Shoplifting (Value under $1,000): If the stolen merchandise is valued at less than $1,000, you may be charged with a Class A misdemeanor. Conviction could result in up to one year in jail and fines of up to $2,500.
- Felony Shoplifting (Value $1,000 or more): Shoplifting merchandise valued at $1,000 or more may result in a Class D felony charge. Conviction may lead to imprisonment for up to six years and fines up to $10,000.
- Repeat Offenses: Subsequent shoplifting convictions can result in enhanced penalties, which include longer jail sentences and higher fines.
- Civil Penalties: In addition to criminal charges, you may also be liable for civil penalties, such as restitution to the store owner for the value of the stolen items and additional fines.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
Some potential defenses against shoplifting charges may include the following:
- Lack of Intent: If there was no intent to steal the merchandise and it was a genuine mistake or misunderstanding, we can argue that you should not be convicted of shoplifting.
- False Accusations: We can investigate whether you were falsely accused or mistakenly identified as the shoplifter.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement had violated your Fourth Amendment rights during the arrest or search, we can challenge the admissibility of evidence against you.
- Procedural Errors: We can carefully review the entire legal process to identify any procedural errors or violations of your rights.
- Negotiation: In some cases, we may be able to negotiate with the prosecutor for decreased charges or alternative sentencing options, like diversion programs or probation.
Contact Our Shoplifting Lawyer in Bentonville Today
Over the years, Cody W. Dowden has represented thousands of clients. He provides honest and straightforward representation to ensure that he works towards the best outcome in your case. Call (479) 777-0640 to learn more.
Don't let a shoplifting charge derail your future. At Cody W. Dowden, Attorney at Law, we are committed to protecting your rights and fighting for the best possible outcome in your case. Our Bentonville shoplifting attorney is here to provide you with a strong legal defense and personalized guidance throughout the legal process. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward safeguarding your future.
Contact Cody W. Dowden, Attorney at Law, today to get started with our Bentonville shoplifting attorney.
100% Focus on Criminal Law
Unlike other firms that handle every type of case in the book, I focus exclusively on criminal law. I live and breathe it. You can trust in my focus.
When You Hire Me, You Get Me
You won't be passed off to another lawyer or spend all of your time talking to a paralegal. I am your attorney. I'll be there every step of the way.
Accessible Legal Defense
Life is busy and it can be hard to take the time you need to meet with your attorney. That's why I offer phone appointments for your convenience.
Affordable Fees & Payment Plans
Protecting your legal rights shouldn't take every penny in your bank account. That's why I offer reasonable fees and payment plans.